|Our stylesheet now looks like this.|
Lots of things have happened on the Biographical Register database project since I last posted about it in April. Wonderfully, we have now completed the tagging of all 11,700 records in the first volume of the Register, and have moved on to the painstaking task of checking and cleansing the data. Final year Medieval History student Siri Hjelsvold, who came to the project in June as a Careers Service summer intern, is relishing this work and is moving on remarkably quickly with this “quality assurance” phase of the project.
After discussion with staff in Research Computing, who are providing the technical infrastructure for it all, we have now added some new name classes to our stylesheet in Dreamweaver: _title – for Sir, Earl, Duke, HRH etc; _generation –for Jr, Snr, III, the First etc.; _toponymic-for the placename in someone’s name e.g. Earl of Rothesay. We have also added styles for links to other people. This makes it possible, for example to suggest that “Peter Watson” and “Patrick Watson” are thought to be the same person. We can now add some mark-up to express this:
<p>Probably same as <a href="idp1417631460" class="identical">Peter</a> [Watson, United College] <span class="date">1754-1755</span> which see.</p>
The link HREF attribute contains the ID number of the person we are linking to, and the class attribute describes the relationship.
The markup work may be exacting, but interesting tidbits of information such as these about our St Andrews predecessors keep us going!