Friday, 26 June 2015

All Change



Photo: iStockphotos

My three-year secondment to the position of Digital Humanities Research Librarian is now nearing an end, which makes this a good time to report some recent changes to the way Digital Humanities support is being provided here at the University of St Andrews Library.

Since the beginning of May this year, my post has been incorporated into the new Digital Research Division, led by Anna Clements, our new Assistant Director for Digital Research.  In addition to me, the Digital Research team consists of our Open Access Support librarians (who also run our Open Journal Hosting service), a new Research Data Officer, and the three developers from the Research Computing team who have been my “go to” people when I've been attempting to get my various Library-based Digital Humanities projects off the ground.  We hope that the team will be added to in due course. 
 
It feels like a good marrying-up of related services and we are all discovering the benefits of working together in the increasingly busy digital research area.  It's encouraging to be part of a bigger team and to experience the strength in numbers which the reconfiguration brings.

I'm looking forward to providing more Digital Humanities support next session.  The Developing Photopoetry website is shortly to be launched, the Biographical Register database is nearing completion, and I have been working with our new Digital Archives Officer in Special Collections to digitise and make available some of the Library’s extensive collection of music scores in our Finzi Music Collection.   I'm also excited to be booked to attend the Digital Humanities Summer School in Oxford in July, and plan to consolidate my understanding of the TEI through the intensive Leveraging the Text-Encoding Initiative workshop there, so that I can offer some in-house training sessions on this increasingly-needed skill to research postgraduates.  An interesting challenge ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment